DGLCOA
Past and Present DGMs
DGC COA


Clarendon Lodge No. 7041

Consecrated 29th March 1950


Meeting at: Johannesburg - Freemasons Hall, 8 Park Lane, Parktown


Meeting Dates: 4th Thursday Jan, Feb, Apr, June, Aug, Oct Inst Feb


Contact 084 403 3647


Lodge History

In 1947, W Bro J H Vivian, then President of the Board of General Purposes, was charged to seek a site for headquarters for the District 'north of the railway line' and he reported, within three months, the acquisition of 'a magnificent plot in the salubrious neighbourhood of Clarendon Circle'. So in anticipation of being able to meet in the new Freemasons' Hall, when completed, the petitioners for a new lodge chose the name Clarendon – a reminder also of the Earl of Clarendon, who had been a very popular Governor General of the Union from 1931 to 1937.

The Charter Master was W Bro Charles Eliasov, of the sponsoring lodge, Prosperity, and the first initiate was his son David. The lodge developed satisfactorily and gained a reputation for excellent workings. There were several father and son relationships, and one in reverse when W Bro Arnold Tannenbaum (WM 1967/8) initiated his father. The Tannenbaums were to be keen supporters of the Lodge for many years, and Arnold attained the high office of Deputy District Grand Master in the Mark. Another very active member for - for more than 35 years is W Bro Benny Gruzin, WM in 1971/2 and 1988/9, and with three spells as Secretary to his credit. He introduced W Bro George Hookham to Clarendon as an honorary member, which indirectly led to the latter becoming the Charter Z of the Clarendon Royal Arch Chapter, consecrated in 1972. Benny Gruzin also developed the friendly relationship between the Lodge and Clarendon Lodge No 5908, which meets in Trowbridge in Wiltshire; and he designed the Lodge banner which bears the Clarendon coat of arms but those of Lady Clarendon, not the Earl!

In the early 1980s the Lodge went through a very bad spell, due to deaths, transfers and resignations, but with the loyal and diligent support of a few stalwarts and the acquisition of some keen and able newer members, the Lodge is cautiously confident of regaining its former strength in the not too distant future.

Reference: 'A Century of Brotherhood' by A A Cooper & D E G Vieler