Consecrated 12th March 1932
Meeting at: Tzaneen - King Edward Drive
Meeting Dates: 3rd Wed (ex Dec) 4th Sat May Inst May
Contact 072 658 9722
The development of the Lowveld in the late 1920s brought a number of masons, of all four Constitutions, to the Tzaneen area and the possibility of forming a local lodge came under discussion. The degree of interest can be gauged from the fact that there were 14 founders, with 10 joining members and 8 proposals for initiation at the first meeting.
Brethren from Duiwelskloof offered a free site and building materials and it was decided to meet there, but within five years the lodge voted to move to Tzaneen. However there was difficulty in selling the existing property, and with the Second World War intervening, the lodge remained at Duiwelskloof until 1959. It then met temporarily in the Town Hall at Tzaneen pending the development, jointly with the Irish, of the new masonic hall, which was completed in 1960.
The lodge has played an active role in Craft Freemasonry in the Northern Transvaal, and in particular it sponsored the Phalaborwa Lodge No 8120 in 1966. An unexpected privilege and pleasure came in June 1989 when Lord and Lady Farnham visited Tzaneen and a braai, lasting well into the night, was greatly enjoyed by all.
As a tail piece, the minutes of the 1933 Installation meeting, with some 70 brethren present, record:
'The collection was taken by Bro Jacobson which resulted in the most gratifying sum of £4.0.6!
Reference: 'A Century of Brotherhood' by A A Cooper & D E G Vieler