Consecrated 4th November 1896
Meeting Dates: 2nd Wednesday (ex Dec) Inst Nov
Contact 082 441 7543
A petition to form the Prosperity Lodge was sent to Grand Lodge in February 1896 and the warrant was dated 27 March, but confirmatory action by the founders seems to have been delayed as a consequence of the 'troubled times' caused by the Jameson raid. But at a meeting on 20 May all was set in order and the Consecration followed on 4 November. The lodge was sponsored by Gold Fields Lodge, which provided thirteen of the founders. During the first year there were 38 candidates and joining members, and early members included two men prominent in the mining industry, S B (Solly) Joel and H F Strange.
During the South African war the lodge went into recess, but resumed working in 1902. For a number of years it had an active 'Lodge of Instruction', which at one stage met four times a month, but its activities declined and were eventually replaced by the usual 'rehearsals'.
The lodge originally met at Freemasons' Hall in Jeppe Street, but moved to Plein Street in 1911 and eventually to Parktown in May 1957.
Distinguished members have included W Bro the Revd William Woolf (WM in 1903/4 and 1916/7), the District Grand Chaplain in both Craft and Mark for many years, and Third and later Second District Grand Principal in the Royal Arch; and Bros B Lighthome, J Keir (District Grand Treasurer for many years) and J S Menkin, all of whom attained Grand rank. Also Bro Hymie Miller, the Master in 1936/7, was elected Mayor of Johannesburg in 1952, and a member of Parliament in 1958.
Prosperity did not find it easy to keep going during the First World War but apart from this progress has been generally steady and satisfactory, an important contributory factor being the number of stalwarts, whether in particular offices such as treasurer or secretary or otherwise, who have given sustained support to the lodge.
Reference: 'A Century of Brotherhood' by A A Cooper & D E G Vieler