Consecrated 19th June 1947
Meeting at: Mauritius - Masonic Complex, Phoenix
Meeting Dates: 2nd Thursday (ex Jan, Dec) Inst Jun
Contact 072 123 2637
There was a particular significance in the Consecration of Protea Lodge in that it lifted the Transvaal into the 'over 69' class, thus increasing the maximum number of appointments to District office permitted by the Constitutions. The naming of the Lodge after our national flower reflected the founders' wish to see its membership as representative of a cross section of South African society. The Lodge was consecrated at the masonic hall in Hunter Street, Bellevue where it met until it moved to Freemasons'Hall in Parktown in January 1965.
Of the Lodge's founders, W Bro Harry Cohen, the Charter Master, earned Grand honours by sustained service to his lodges and to the District, including being a member of the District Board of General Purposes for many years; while another founder, Bro Wally Alison, still takes an active interest after some 64 years in Freemasonry. Then in later years, W Bro Gerry Schneider was District Grand Treasurer from 1989 to 1993, while W Bro Hilly Rosin has served for 18 years (not out!) as Lodge Secretary.
An unusual sequence of masterships occurred in 1961/4 when W Bro Paul Schach installed his eldest son as his successor, and a year later the latter installed his brother.
Since its consecration the Lodge has made generally steady progress and in 1980 the membership reached a 'high' of 63. In recent years there has been a decline to around 40 but this is viewed as being a temporary setback.
Reference: 'A Century of Brotherhood' by A A Cooper & D E G Vieler