Top Banner

Springs Lodge No. 5669

Consecrated 30th August 1937

Meeting at: Springs - Masonic Centre, Corner First Avenue and Seventh Street

Meeting Dates: 4th Wednesday (ex Dec) Inst Sep

Contact 072 931 8502

Lodge History

With the growing importance of Springs as a mining and manufacturing centre, the need for a second lodge became apparent and so Springs Lodge came alongside Coalfields Lodge in 1937. The Charter Master was a Natal made mason, W Bro W A G ('Wag') Johnson, who was to achieve prominence in later years as the Charter Master and a very active supporter of Delville Lodge No 7231 (qv), with Grand rank being accorded to him in 1969. The WM in 1959/60 was W Bro Dr H R ('Lox') le Helloco, who had been initiated, and passed through the chair, of Messina Lodge, and then moved to Springs, where he was very active in Lodge and in the District, and attained Grand rank in 1961. And in 1977, the Lodge initiated Bro K T ('Tom') van Vollenhoven, who had achieved sporting fame in - or perhaps one should say on another field, that of English League rugby. He was to be Master of the Lodge in 1981/2 and 1985/6, and remains active in it.

Springs Lodge has made steady progress over the years, and currently has some fifty members. Until recently it was a tenant of the Springs Masonic Centre owned by Coalfields Lodge, but in 1993 a scheme was developed for the acquisition by each of five tenant lodges of a 10% interest in the centre, the proceeds to be used for further building improvements. Springs Lodge, with the assistance of the Heritage Fund, is a participant in the scheme.

Reference: 'A Century of Brotherhood' by A A Cooper & D E G Vieler